Posted by: Team - Bowhead whale | February 24, 2015

Re-establishing the monitoring system

After we had fixed the monitoring equipment we went again to Qaqqaliaq to test the equipment in situ. Once there, we went down the cliffs to make some new recordings using the hand held setup and deployed the hydrophone in the only little hole on the ice that we could see in front of the iced cliffs (the hole was of the size of 4 eider ducks packed all together paddling in it). Once the recordings were running, Outi went to the light house and Laia (together with a hydrophone) went to the extension cable’s end that are hanging from the cliffs.

Outi at the door of the Qaqqaliaq lighthouse. Photo: L. Agusti

Outi at the door of the Qaqqaliaq lighthouse. Photo: L. Agusti

After performing a tap test to find out if they were still working, we found out that 2 of 4 extension cables are still working and the equipment is running well  …. but the only signal we got was a very powerful radio (greenlandic radio) signal!

The equipment inside the lighthouse ready to run!

The equipment inside the lighthouse ready to run!

Another element to be fixed! New objective: fix the ground cable from the system


Categories